Ever since January of 2013, we've been trying to figure out a way to get Alli sleeping back in her room. She had developed a fear of being alone and there was nothing we could say to convince her that her room was safe without us in it. We used to be able to read a few books, sing a few songs, say prayers, kiss her goodnight and leave the room. After her fear developed, we had to stay in her room with her until she fell asleep or she would panic. This could take up to an hour or more. Then Kara turned us on to the Magic Tree House book series that we used to help relax her into falling asleep sooner. This helped reduce our time getting her in bed to about 30 minutes. This has gone on for months.
Even with reading her to sleep, she continued to wake up in the middle of the night somewhere after midnight and there was no coaxing her back to bed without reading or sitting with her. So for some time she has been falling back to sleep in our room on an old crib mattress. No fun right?!? I had finally had enough of losing my entire free time at night to a bedtime routine. So against what I WANTED to do, we began letting her fall asleep in our room because at least in our room she felt safe enough to fall asleep without us having to be in there.
The problem got worse when Alli began waking early to make sure she didn't miss seeing Ben before he left for work. So even on Saturday's Alli has been waking us before 7.....Saturday I had finally had enough. We had discussed potentially moving the kids in the same room together so that she wouldn't be alone but she panicked over the idea of the door being shut, even though Ethan would be with her. But I said forget it and said we're doing this regardless.
We pumped it up all day. She got to pick where the beds went and have "control" over the situation. We have also previously promised her that if she gets back into her room that we will let her pick out a bed frame for her room (right now all she has are a mattress and box springs). So with the excitement of being with Ethan and getting to get a new bed if she makes this a new habit, she was pumped and ready to go... FINALLY!
The bedroom makes me happy. Alli and Ethan both have their own side and everything is neat and clean.
The playroom is Ethan's old room. It was the smaller of the two rooms but perfect for all their toys. I like the idea of all the mess staying in one room....or at least that's wishful thinking for my OCD.
The first night was too precious not to share. Last night once we had the kids ready to be tucked in, Alli began to show signs of panicking. She wanted the lamp to be left on. I was worried this would keep Ethan awake so I told her that we were going to turn the lamp off and just sit in the room until our eyes adjusted to the light and so she could see just how much light her two night lights were going to give her. So we sat on the floor with her in my lap and I tried to control her breathing. Ethan got jealous and wanted to sit with me. So he jumped on my lap behind Alli. I took the opportunity to use Ethan to help Alli. I told him to tell her it was ok. He put his arms around her like I was, leaned down beside her face and said, "It ok Alli." Shortly after that, Alli was ready to give it a try.
With everyone tucked in and told good night, we left and hoped for the best. I could hear Alli on the monitor telling herself, "I can do it, I can do it." She then began to speak with Ethan telling him that she was going to be with him tonight and that they were going to be ok.
We are so proud of her. It took them a while to fall asleep because Ethan had to adjust to having someone to "Talk to" in his room. He kept bothering Alli and telling her to wake up. Once asleep, Alli did wake once scared at 4 in the morning but Ben was able to calm her and get both her and Ethan to go back to sleep. Overall, the new arrangement is a success, for all involved!
7 years ago



0 comments:
Post a Comment