CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Shock n Awe

Alli is quickly creeping up on 3 years old. We've talked about potty training a lot with her. She has never shown any interest. Every time we mention it or ask if she wants to try to go, she just shakes her head and says no. Alli has always been on her own schedule and so we've never pushed her. As much as I would love to have her out of diapers before Ethan gets here...I KNEW that would never happen.

So tonight we had a small shock and awe moment. I was getting Alli ready for bed and while changing her diaper I realize she is pushing like she might try to poop. So I asked her if she needed to go. She just kept saying poopy and would answer my question. So I just got her diaper on and went back to our bedtime routine. After getting her teeth brushed we normally let her do something fun for a few minutes. I asked her if she wanted to do that and she says to me "Go Poopy". I jokingly said to her, "Yeah I wish" and asked her where she wanted to go poopy. So lo and behold she runs into the bathroom and points to the toilet. So as much as I was disbelieving that she would even stay on the seat for a couple seconds, I went ahead with it. To my surprise again, after getting her on the seat she actually starts trying to push. She had never even tried before. She would usually just sit there so I was stoked that she actually tried. Then, to my surprise I actually hear her passing gas. Now...to Alli, this is also going poopy. So she was excited. She thought she was going poopy in the toilet. I kept encouraging her and telling her to keep trying. She stayed on a lot longer than I thought she would and really gave it a good effort. I was so excited that she tried and got so close that we had to call daddy to share the good news. So we get daddy on the phone and she told daddy she went poopy. Simple pleasures in life and we are so proud of her for finally trying with real effort! Way to go Alli!

3 comments:

The Jay Mangum Family

Go Alli! .... I'm going to start trying to potty train Michael once we get settled in Cedar City this summer (I'm looking forward to the no diapers stage with him)

Don- Ash -Carter -Levi

Awesome job Alli! It's amazing but they just "get it" one day. Hopefully this is the start of a quick diaper to big girl panties transition! hehe After a good month of focusing in January, Carter now wears his big boy undies everywhere - even to public places. A lot more of a hassle right now (constantly bringing him to the potty everywhere, and bringing extra clothes just in case..) but I know he'll get to the point where it's not a big deal anymore. He still wears a diaper for naps and night time bed though. I'm not convinced yet at his ability during those situations...haha... until he has a month of dry diapers for naps, he's not free-birding it there. ;)

Smith1230

Yeah well I'm not getting too excited. Alli has only given me two tries at night time. She has not shown any further interest. So we will continue to wait for her to be "ready" mentally even though she's ready physically.