7 years ago
Thursday, May 31, 2012
PreK
I've decided it's time for me to start trying to work with Alli on some PreK activities. I've allowed us to spend too much time in front of the tv (although PBS is very educational) and have allowed it to teach her instead of me. So after having my memory jogged by Kara about the PreK curriculum put together by a lady in our church, I downloaded Week A and began a few worksheets with Alli. She already knows the letter A so we worked on tracing letter A. We talked briefly about Adam and Eve (since A is for Adam in this week). I realized very quickly that Alli wants to learn but I will have to have patience if I'm going to teach her. She became very frustrated and upset when she couldn't follow the dotted lines on the paper with her pen. She is a perfectionist (probably my fault) and got upset when she couldn't stay on the line. So I calmly tried to encourage her to keep trying and I helped her by holding her hand as she traced. She gained confidence and began doing the tracing while my hand was on hers. I made sure to show her that my tracing wasn't perfect too and that is ok. I'm going to make every effort to try to do this program three days a week. For anyone interested, the packets can be found here Confession of a Slackermom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
She did eventually get more comfortable with the idea. It will take time, but her attention span will get a little longer.
I just read several of your posts. I didn't realize how many I had missed in a couple of weeks.
You can also just use white paper and a hi-liter or yellow marker for her to trace the letters too. The lines are wider and she will stay "in the lines" easier. :)
Kara I put it in a sheet protector and let her have a dry erase marker. So it was wider than a normal pen. But I think since it was just her first time she felt very apprehensive doing it herself. She would throw the pen down and hide her face in her hands.
She has that Love perfection gene! Lol! - Kara
Post a Comment