CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Head First!

Today was Ben's first day as an official Paramedic alone in an ambulance with just an EMT partner. The day started out really slow. I spoke with Ben after I got to work and found out that his slow day quickly took a turn. Ben worked his first Code today. He was very calm and I wasn't sure how it went. Unfortunately real life codes aren't like the tv shows. You can't just shock a patient and they come back to life. Unfortunately, the odds are usually against you. So much has to be taken into consideration...how long has the patient been down; has the family been doing CPR; Are they doing it effectively; what pre-existing health conditions do they have??? So when Ben told me he worked a code...I thought great...he just had his first loss as a paramedic. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory. I was so excited to find out that I was wrong and the situation was much better. So many things were working in this patient's favor. The family had already started CPR. They got their quick and Ben immediately took charge of the scene and started patient care. Breath support started, medications given, heart shocked...etc.. Ben was so excited to get a normal rhythm back...then he coded again. Ben figured out an underlying problem and once again got a normal heart rhythm. When they pulled into the hospital he was able to turn the patient over to the doctor and nurses with a stable rhythm, airway secured and medications started...that is an achievement for his FIRST code. I'm so incredibly proud of him! What a way to introduce yourself to a new hospital and doctors and nursing staff. So many facilities go off first impressions as to whether you are a lousy paramedic. I think this is a great way to make an impression. Way to go Ben!!!