CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Shafted Frustration

I've been getting really frustrated lately with work. We decided I would be PRN with work after Alli was born. Once she was born, we figured I would be able to work one night a week and take my paycheck and use it to pay off a few things we wanted to take care of and then be able to save up from some home improvements. I turned in my availability over a month ago. I am available either a monday or tuesday of every week. I had a pretty good chance of getting my one shift a week. Lately though....this hasn't been the case. There is a recently hired PRN who has been getting worked 3 nights a week which = full time hours. But she has been working both A shift and B shift. She isn't being given a full time position, but is getting a LOT of hours.

I recently found out that all of my scheduled once a night shifts are only "standby." I have no guaranteed hours this month. Every night that I'm on "standby" they have this other PRN girl working who has only been at the facility for a month or so. I'm frustrated that after working there two years I'm not getting work compared to a girl who is there for only a month. I confronted my boss on it and this was his response.

Heather,

I’m not sure if you are aware, but I do have a tech out on medical leave. I have been using Jenny primarily because she is the only prn tech that can give me 3 straight nights to fill the void. Obviously, this enables a better flow for the sleep center on a day-to-day basis with scheduling patients, etc. Otherwise, I would find myself trying to piece two to three prn techs together on various nights to yield the same result. With that being said, I think you are a fantastic tech; one of the best I’ve seen in a long time. I will try and get you some more time- please understand that it is not personal.

Regards,

Paul

Basically this emails says this to me: 1. Its easier on Paul to schedule one person than being fair and sharing PRN hours. 2. Skills and attitude means NOTHING

I go to work, do my job, don't stir the crap and come home. That's why he responded with the "you're a fantastic tech." I really don't think it would take THAT much effort to say ok Heather you work every Monday and give Jenny 2 more days in that week. I don't understand why it has to be "so hard." So I've really contemplated whether its worth me staying there or not. I have a 401k sitting there that I can't have unless I'm no longer an employee. I know it would be "wise" to roll it over to another investment but we could REALLY use that money to pay off some debts if they aren't going to work me. Sigh....anyway we've been praying about it. We'll see what happens.

Another interesting thing...Ben (as a long shot) applied for the ladder driver position. Ben isn't even a driver yet...so getting the ladder driver position would be...well... wonderful. Ben met the qualifications because of his time in volunteer service. There are 6 positions and 9 people applied. Ben took his test today and said it was really hard. He studied the best he could but since he isn't a "Driver" yet, he hasn't gone through pump school. So many of the questions were over things he hasn't officially been taught. So we're hoping he did well enough to pass and make it to the interview. If he didn't pass the test then he won't get to interview. If he gets this position...it would be an awesome $7k pay raise!!! Ben would also get to go through a bunch of fire academy schooling. He's really been wanting to get back to the academy. Here's praying!

3 comments:

Don- Ash -Carter -Levi

Sorry Heather - that is frustrating! I would approach him again and say what you said here- "give me every Monday, and her the other 2 days". Sounds fair enough to me. Trust me though, nothing is fair in the world of PRN-ing. This has been the most *unfair* month of all for me...I am very mad!

But...in brighter light... GOOD LUCK BEN! It would be awesome if he gets that position!!! :)

Smith1230

Yes we are stoked and saying a LOT of prayers.

Mangum Life

I'm sorry Heather that's things have been so rough for you, hope it all works out for the better soon and that you're able to get that one night a week deal. Also, GOOD LUCK BEN! Hope you get in for the interview :-) We'll keep you guys in our prayers