Well this week just flew by. Alli is getting stronger and more confident in her walking. She prefers to walk with her walker but she will sometimes let go of it and take off on her own.
On Saturday Shannon and I made wreaths for fall. Shannon posted hers on facebook. We made them to look like this and this. Ours were made of burlap in black and orange colors. I wanted to do the boo letters as well. Now after making the wreaths out of the orange and black it seems too busy to add the letters covered in scrapbook paper of different halloween patterns. Now if I still want to do the boo letters I could just take some or all of the orange out and make it just like the lady in the link did with the all black burlap. The thing that is keeping me from doing this is the fact that the burlap is MESSY and sheds tiny fibers that smell and seriously annoy you because they get all over you and we felt like we were breathing them all day. So it may just be what it is...Either way it is still cute.
It was nice to have Ben at church with me yesterday. Alli was much better behaved during sacrament. Sunday school was another thing though. Ben ended up having to take Alli out for the last little bit. We were discussing 2 Chronicles 29 when Hezekiah reopened, cleansed and restored the temple. So the focus of the class conversation was on the importance of temples and temple worship in our lives. The temple is such a wonderful refuge from the world. I think it's easy to forget how peaceful it is there when you haven't been in a while, and then when you're there you remember, oh yeah, this is what I've been needing and missing. There is so much turmoil in the world that the temple is a very important recharging zone for each and every one of us. Regular attendance is just what we need to give us the spiritual protection and rejuvenation that we need to face the trials of our day, or so at least Ben and I have come to realize. The conversation of the class followed this thought process for a while and these verses were brought up for reflection: D&C 109: (the dedicatory prayer offered at the Kirkland Temple)
22 And we ask thee, Holy Father, that thy servants may go forth from this house armed with thy power, and that thy aname may be upon them, and thy glory be round about them, and thine bangels have charge over them...
This is an additional reminder of the amazing power offered to those who attend the temple in worship...that angels will watch over you and no weapon formed against you shall prosper...who wouldn't want that amazing protection?
Emily then brought this point up...what keeps us from going more frequently? She suggested this: the temple has a fairly open schedule to be able to attend. We can pick the day and time that works in our schedule. So then she asks, what if regular church services were the same way and you could pick a day, any day, various times....would we attend church every week like we do now? We love church, we know it revitalizes us and helps us get through the week....could we find ourselves going a month or months without attending as we do with the temple...She suggested that maybe offering us open flexibility gives us too much leeway. So then she suggested we give ourselves a goal to achieve. Like the regular schedule of weekly church attendance on Sunday, she suggested we set a feasible goal that fits us each individually. So this got me thinking. Before Alli, it wasn't uncommon for Ben and I to attend as regularly as once a week. It was wonderful to be able to go that often. Since having Alli, we are LUCKY to get to go once every couple months. Between Ben's crazy two job schedule and feeling guilty asking for baby sitters, we haven't gone as much as we would like to. I want to set a goal for that to change though. I would love to set a goal to go as often as every two weeks and never go longer than a month between attending. I feel like this is a feasible goal for us. So now its a goal...time to get to it.
Today I'm thankful for:
1. goals...
2. a close temple
3. the hope that fall is coming soon!
7 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment