CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 5, 2011

My taste buds NEEDED this!

I had some Tilapia in the freezer that we needed to cook and I wanted a new recipe to try. Tilapia is really the only fish Ben will eat. I love just about any type of fish but Ben isn't as fond of it so we like Tilapia because it isn't as fishy tasting! So I wanted to grill it. We had a Taste of Home grilling magazine and I found this tasty sounding recipe for Halibut. I knew halibut was a white fish and thought Tilapia would be a great substitute. Here's the recipe.
Halibut with Zesty Peach Salsa:

photo curtesy of taste of home website (wouldn't want some copyright person to get huffy over the use of their picture)

Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 halibut steaks (6 ounces each)
    SALSA:
  • 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen peaches
  • 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
  • 2 teaspoons lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

  • In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; mix well. Remove 1/4 cup for basting; cover and refrigerate. Pour remaining marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the halibut. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 2 hours. In another small bowl, combine salsa ingredients; cover and refrigerate until serving.
  • Drain and discard marinade. Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack.
  • Grill, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork, basting occasionally with reserved marinade. Serve with peach salsa. Yield: 4 servings.
Editor's Note: When cutting hot peppers, disposable gloves are recommended. Avoid touching your face.

This was SOOOO YUMMY! My taste buds needed this fresh and citrus filled meal! It was nice to make something so healthy and fresh tasting. We absolutely loved the salsa. We would make it by itself! I'm not a big fan on red onions but it was perfect for this salsa. Next time I will leave out the jalapeno. It didn't need that extra zest for our liking and this way Alli can eat it without any problems. She loved the peaches and the red peppers. If only I could get her to try the fish. Oh well...small victories right?!?

2 comments:

Don- Ash -Carter -Levi

Wow, sounds great! I'll have to try this one day, Don loves Tilapia :D

p.s. haha about the photo courtesy. Can never be too careful in the copyright area. First I thought it was your own picture and I was like wow! My pics suck! haha I just put it on the plate and take a picture -haha =-)

Smith1230

LOL ash that's funny. No, even when I make a new meal and am excited about it, I always forget to take a picture. I want to make my own cookbook of favorite recipes but I have NO uncopyrighted pictures of my food...so if I want to get it professionally printed then I have to start taking some pictures. hah