I sometimes find it hard (maybe bothersome is a better word) when it comes to reporting things to authorities (namely calling cops when I'm irritated by something a neighbor is doing or things we see on the road). Sometimes I just don't want to be bothered with it or just don't have the time...This weekend we had a perfect example of why it is good to act when you see things that just don't seem right.
We were headed to Winchester to visit with family. We had just gotten of the AEDC exit and turned onto HWY 127. We were following behind a beat up Ford Explorer with plastic sheeting covering where the back window should've been. When this person turned onto 127, they had a hard time staying in their lane. This seemed odd to be but I didn't think too much of it. As we continued down this road for 15-20 minutes we continued to notice this driver having an ever increasing amount of difficulty remaining between the lines. 3 times they almost hit oncoming traffic and one time they almost took themselves out in a guard rail.
We had finally had enough and I told Ben to call the cops. He called the Sherriff's Dept (thankfully still had the number in his phone). The dispatcher was someone Ben knew very well from when he worked in the county and they asked us if we could safely follow the car to help them keep up with them until the cops could pull them over. We ended up getting into Decherd city before the cops had any cars close. An undercover vehicle swooped in front of us and turned their lights on. It took a good 3-4 minutes for the driver to even realize a cop was behind him with flashing lights and almost just as long to get off the road.
We got stuck at a red light shortly after their pulled him over and Ben noticed in his rear view mirror that after the cop open the door, the driver was quickly pulled out of the driver's seat and placed at the car being handcuffed. Ben was like "dang their arresting him!"
We got to the farm and figured we'd call later to see what had happened. Instead Aaron (the dispatcher) called us to let us know that the driver had a mobile meth lab in his car!!! They were so thankful we had called and so are we. One less idiot on the road and hopefully some lives were saved from an inevitable wreck waiting to happen!
Hope everyone else had a great weekend :)
2 comments:
Glad you were able to help and not regret not doing it! I feel the same way a lot, calling in drunk drivers or questionable behavior can be a hassle, but I do it anyway! Sometimes I just look straight ahead cause downtown in the city we live, I would be calling nonstop!
Wow!!!
I should read your blog more often.
Post a Comment