CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 23, 2011

For anyone interested

I love browsing coupon blogs. There is one blog I regularly follow and she is a very practical kind of person. She tends to do a whole lot of freezer cooking to reduce the amount of time she spends on meals and it also ensures they eat out less and eat healthier. One of the meals she cooked this week was in an effort to save money because he husband is addicted to the breakfast burritos from McDonalds. It's simple and practical and I ask myself...why didn't I think of that. So here is her recipe. I did alter the ham to sausage.

Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Burritos

  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
  • 18 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup chopped ham
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 20 flour tortillas

Saute onions and green pepper in butter. Beat eggs and milk together and pour into the skillet with the onions and peppers.

Add the ham, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are set. Mix in cheese and let melt.

Scoop 1/2 cup egg mixture onto tortillas. Fold ends under and roll up. Freeze (see instructions below) or put all burritos in a baking dish, top with extra cheese (if you’d like) and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through. Serve with salsa.

Freezer Instructions:

Wrap burrito in a paper towel and then in a sheet of foil. Seal tightly and place in freezer bags. When bag is full, remove all air and seal. Freeze.

To serve: Remove foil and put paper-towel-wrapped burrito in microwave. Reheat for around one minute. Serve with salsa.

As the recipe states, it makes 20 burritos. I already had green pepper and onions on hand so the only thing I needed were tortillas, cheese, eggs and sausage. So $8 in ingredients and I had 20 burritos. Think about what you pay for a fast food burrito...Mine come out to $0.40 a piece...Score...Can't go wrong with the fact that they tasted really good. Ben thought they tasted like quiche in a tortilla. Sounds yummy to me!

0 comments: