CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Cruciate Ligament

It looks like it is official. Pepper has ruptured/torn/injured her cruciate ligament in her right knee. This injury is unfortunately requiring surgery. There is probably no way around it. Without it, she would develop arthritis and never have the mobility she needs. As an 80 lbs dog, I NEED her to be mobile. My needs at this point are of no concern. Some people may not see it the same way as we do, but for myself and for Ben, our pets are our babies. Pepper is like my first child. It's crazy I know but we love her so much and would do anything for her. I hate to see her in pain. Both of us are distraught over this news but it is fixable and we will take care of it immediately. Pepper is such a great companion and truly makes me feel safe when Ben isn't home. That to me is reason enough to take care of my baby so she can be right by my side in no time to protect our home and be my warning of any danger.

We have an appointment monday with the orthopedic surgeon on Nashville who specializes in this injury. He will do a consultation and determine the best course of action. If surgery is needed, she will be prepped and taken in same day. She will stay over night for observation and we will pick her up Tuesday. Then we have 12 long weeks of slow agonizing recovery for her and for us! For her because she can be as active as a 2 yr old lab WANTS to be and for us because she's big and she has to be isolated downstairs so she doesn't hurt herself after surgery. Dang our 2 story home! Stairs will probably be out of the option for a few weeks unless she is assisted getting up them.

This whole drama has unfortunately altered our Florida vacation plans. I have been looking forward to this for so long and Ben has worked so hard. We are both in need of a vacation. We both thought this would ruin the chances of going at all. Luckily we will be able to board pepper at the vet after her surgery and will pick her up saturday when we return home. So we hope to enjoy Florida from Tuesday evening through Saturday morning! I can't say my heart wont be with her some though.

We are going to go Thursday down to Winchester with pepper and get a second opinion with Ben's family's vet. They have known this man for years and he has bred Labradors for years. He will be a good opinion to get. I think it will relieve any doubt Ben has on the diagnosis. I can't say I'm holding out hope for a different diagnosis. I think she has truly injured herself. Oh well..

So aside from a bad day yesterday and a lot of logistical nightmares and future medical bills...we are so looking forward to sunny florida and a speedy recovery for our dear Pepper. In true Lab nature, even with an injured knee, she runs around on 3 legs wanting to play in the yard. It will be so hard to contain her. I will post pictures of her ordeal...heck I may even scrapbook it...They are the only kids we have right now so why not scrapbook them.

2 comments:

Don- Ash -Carter -Levi

Poor Pepper :-( Dr. Prince will be a great second opinon -I trust him with all my animals. Glad you're still getting to chill in Florida though I know you will still be thinking of her. It'll work out! I am glad I am not the only one that loves my "children" so much to spend so much money on them :) She's a good dog and you two are good "parents" **GET WELL PEPPER!**

The Haddock's

I so sorry Heather. It will all work out. I feel your pain girly. Ya know if ya need anything give me a hollar. I be here to talk to you or help with anything.